Follow this guide to connect and set up your own domain such as "www.example.com" or "campaign.example.co".
You need these mandatory steps:
- Add the required records on your DNS provider (where you purchased or manage your domain).
- Add your custom domain to your Umso site settings.
1. DNS provider
You can set up just a root domain (example.com), a subdomain (www.example.com) or both.
Did you know that www is a subdomain? Just as campaign.example.com, www is also a subdomain of example.com. If you want your visitor to also be able to access www make sure to set up both root domain and www subdomain.
A. Set up a root domain
To set up your root domain you need to set up a type A Record with your DNS provider:
- with @ and the IP: 126.96.36.199 (root domain)
B. Set up a subdomain
To set up a subdomain you will need to set up a type A Record with your DNS provider:
- with www and the IP: 188.8.131.52 (recommended)
- with <your-subdomain-name> and the IP: 184.108.40.206 (for example, campaign)
After you've set these records please remove all A records you don't need as they can conflict with your setup.
2. Umso Site Settings
- Go to your site's dashboard.
- Toggle "Domains" settings box.
- Type the Custom Domain you have purchased, make sure Custom Domain toggle is selected.
- Click Add Domain.
- We automatically check if you have inserted a root domain or a subdomain, and if needed we will offer you to add your www and non-www version of your domain.
- If we display the pop-up, you can select both domains and click on Add Domains.
Your domain is now associated with your site. Step 1 and 2 does not need to happen in a specific order. If you add the domain on your Umso site first, we will just show up a button Setup Domain and display the same instructions as this article.
Please wait for at least 15 minutes before contacting support. DNS records can take some time to propagate.
By default, your umso site's URL is set by default (when you create the site). When adding a custom domain you will want to set that as your primary domain for your site.
If you have non-www and a www version of your domain, pick the one you want your users to be redirected to. All domains for that site will be redirected to your primary domain.
If you want later, you can remove the default domain created with your site.
At site creation, a domain with your site ID will be created for you. You can add a different URL using Umso domains, for example, mysite.umso.co.
You can remove your domains as long as it is not your primary domain. To delete a domain that is your primary, please add another one and make the new one as primary and then you are able to delete your previous domain.
Learn how to use domains with multilingual sites